What we do
Program Implementation Unit to coordinate and monitor the execution of the highly challenging, technical and multi sectoral programs
Since both these programs are multi-sectoral having crosscutting interventions with multiple implementation arrangements therefore the coordination and monitoring responsibility rests with P&D department through this unit. PIU also serves as the Doing Business Secretariat.
The Government of Punjab Program for Agriculture and rural transformation emphasizes enabling productivity, increasing competitiveness in Agricultural marketing and trade and enhancing resilience. The broader Government...
When was Program Implementation Unit (PIU) established?
PIU was established in 2017
What is Program Implementation Unit (PIU)?
Program Implementation Unit has been established by Planning & Development Department, Government of the Punjab to coordinate ad monitor program activities of important donor funded programs including Jobs & Competitiveness (J&C) Program for Results and Strengthening Markets for Agriculture and Rural Transformation in Punjab (SMART Punjab). The PIU is responsible for overall monitoring and coordination of J&C and SMART programs. The unit also performs the functions of providing technical support to the implementing agencies as and when required through engagement of technical assistance.
What are the focus areas of PIU?
- Facilitating investors in Punjab by introducing reforms such as automation and reduction of red tape in business procedures thereby improving the Business Regulatory Environment
- Make industrial clusters such as sports goods, surgical equipment, auto-parts, garments and leather footwear more competitive in Punjab
- Improve labour standards to match International Labour Organisation’s GSP+ Labour Conventions
- Develop and upgrade the industrial infrastructure through private sector led competitive process informed by the Punjab Spatial Strategy 2018
Which departments are involved in the implementation of the two Programs?
- Punjab Land Records Authority
- Lahore Development Authority
- Metropolitan Corporation Lahore
- Lahore High Court
- Punjab Small Industrial Corporation
- Punjab Industrial Estates Development and Management Company
- Faisalabad Industrial Estates Development and Management Company
What is the loan instrument being used by the PIU?
The loan instrument being used by the unit is Program for Results (PforR); the instrument was created in 2012 by World Bank. PforR supports government programs which are aligned with development partner goals, this results in greater development effectiveness. The unique feature of this loan instrument is that it includes using a country’s own institutions and processes and linking disbursement of funds directly to the achievement of specific program results.
Who do I contact for complaint/grievance redressal?
You can contact the Program Officer at: firstname.lastname@example.org